Friday, January 6, 2012

FireOutFoxed


Here I go off on another software rant... and if I wanted to write two articles like this tonite I'd do another one on Autodesk.  But it's late and I have to get up early in the morning so I'll keep that powder dry for another day.

Here's the scenario however:



On my new laptop I have adopted Mozilla Firefox as my internet browser of choice.  On all previous computers Microsoft Internet Explorer continues to serve, but here on the new speed demon 64-bit system Firefox got the call.  It took a bit of getting used to but it turns out to be better in many respects, and I now prefer it.  That was until the little gem above made a call tonite.

Tonite the program loaded a dialog on start up that an update (vers 9) is available, and along with it a recommendation to install it.  Normally I will keep my programs current.  It takes time, and now and then a software vendor will push out a version with new bugs, but in the main I've had good results.  So I took the option only to find this stopper.  And it is a stopper.  There's no way I will sacrifice the security of my system in exchange for a new browser version.  None.  Nada.  Zip.  Zilch.  Sorry... just isn't going to happen. 

Shame on you, Mozilla for thinking I'm this stupid.  Here's the new plan:  I'm going to pass on your offer and you are going to get your act together so that your browser plays nicely with my virus protection system once again.  We're not talking some small time security outfit here either... this is Kaspersky Internet Security!  When you've done your bit you let me know and I'll have a look at your new toy then.  How's that?  Good?  Smashing.  It's a deal.

In the meantime, just so we're clear, I like the idea of it being just me mucking about in my computer, and not some Nigerian phisher/spammer and God only knows who from where.  And I like the Big K watching my back.  It helps me sleep at night.

Did I say "Shame on You, Mozilla?!"  I meant to.  Now get to work!

2 comments:

  1. Well FF is updating quite a lot lately and i don't know the reason.
    I think that the 3rd party plug-in providers have a difficult time to keep up with all the updates in such a little time.
    But you are right, this should not be happening.
    Stefanos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see these every now and then, not savey enough to understand them so I guess I'm the guy they like. Lucky for me I use FF only for my Pbase site as it has spell check built in and I need it! I still use IE for all my other use.

    ReplyDelete