Saturday, February 2, 2013

4 hrs

Red Chicken Chili

Ingredients:

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, 2-3#
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
2 (14.5 oz) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes w/ garlic
2 cups chicken stock (broth)
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and washed
1 onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder

Optional extras:

3 medium potatoes, cubed
Fresh garlic, diced, to taste


Preparation:

1.  Cut chicken thighs into bite size pieces, season with salt and black pepper.

2.  Heat vegetable oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.  Cook and stir chicken until browned and no longer pink in the center, about 8 minutes per side.  Transfer to slow cooker, draining excess oil.  Add remaining ingredients.

3.  Cook on LOW for 8 hours or cook for 4 hours on HIGH. 

After the successful recipe I made last weekend, and the enjoyment of eating it during the week, it was a sure thing I would do something new this weekend.  These really are all pretty easy once you get the hang of it, and tossing in a few extras like potatoes, garlic, carrots, or whatever suits your fancy (and taste buds) only makes it better.  And it really makes the house smell great!  :)

This turned out really well!  Lots of flavor and the jalapeno disappeared into the mix.  So not to worry that it might come out too "hot"... It won't.  This is another one I'll repeat.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Someday I will be able to tell my friends that I knew that great recipe Chef Dave! I hope the book will be out soon as I'm really liking these recipes! Maralee picked up some thighs and we are trying to figure out how to cook in a crock pot for 8 hours when we have our big meal at noon! Don't know if I can get her use the jalapeno even "if it disappears" but we shall see! How am I ever going to loose any weight? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One way I can think of is to start the crockpot at 8:00 a.m. and cook everything on high for 4 hrs! Most of these I've done have been for that length of time, and they come out just fine. There you go... lunch is served! :) These actually make great winter Wisconsin meals.

    ReplyDelete